Friday, July 5, 2013

Holiday in Rwanda

Happy 4th of July!

The 4th of July is a holiday in Rwanda too. So Happy 4th from here to there! … Last weekend I went with my Australian friends, and their family, to the Akagera National Park — located in the northeastern part of Rwanda — for a 2 day safari! I will try to describe the beauty of this place in another entry. For now here’s one picture of the experience.



More local news: Charissa’s care package arrived this week, so we are enjoying some of the goodies! I came up to Kigali tonight so that I wouldn't have to ride the whole way from Rwamagana to Cyuru in one day. I am meeting Bosco, the village leader, the pastor, and hopefully, the sector secretary as well as Moses’ father. I don’t think he has finished his house yet! There wasn’t much to do, but he has been resistant. Related to Dobie Gillis’ friend, Maynard G. Krebs, I think: “Work!?” 

Sarah has a reservation to return to USA on Monday evening. The latest Dr. believes she either has an autoimmune disease or a tick related (i.e. Lyme) disease. She hopes that by leaving now she can get diagnosis and treatment in time to return for 3rd term. She is in such pain and her legs are so swollen! I taught her classes and Blaise’s classes last week and two days this week. Next week is review week so I will be teaching all classes again. The week of exams, however, they will hire Blaise to monitor the classes in my place, which will allow me to draft patterns for blouses, skirts and sew samples.

Jean Bosco came to Rwamagana to talk to the director of Gatarama School for the Blind. He and his wife, Patience, have followed my advice about stimulating baby Hannah Grace to become all she can be although she is blind. She is laughing, talking and exploring their house! I am thrilled for them! What a difference a year has made. Jean Bosco and Patience believe that Hannah Grace’s blindness has opened their eyes to the needs of the thousands of other Rwandan children who are also blind. The government has no programs for the blind other than the school in Rwamagana, which provides education for them once they turn 6 years of age. That is much too late! He will try to meet with Maddie when she returns from the USA. 


Charissa’s box arrived just in time to provide an emotional boost for me with Sarah leaving. Ingrid, who is 31 years old, from the Netherlands, lives across the courtyard/driveway from me and works as an adviser for schools in the Rwamagana district. I think we may start coordinating our food shopping and preparation so we don't have to eat alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment